Odessa - Southeastern Ontario
Loyalist Township. Lennox and Addington County. Photo © Mark Visser (R). © Bill Patterson (L)

Area Information
The wording on the standpipe reflects the fact that it is located in the former Township of Ernestown, now part of Loyalist Township which islocated on the shores of Lake Ontario.
The original name of Odessa was Mill Creek. In 1838 the York Road passed through the village giving its economy a boost. In 1855, the village was renamed by its postmaster to commemorate the siege of the Black Sea port of Odessa (now in the Ukraine) in 1854 by the British Fleet during the Crimean War.
The primary centres of settlement in Loyalist are Amherstview, Bath and Odessa.
The village bills itself as "home of the Babcock Mill," which historically was powered by Millhaven Creek which runs through the heart of Odessa.

Other sites you may be interested in:
Thumbnail Collection of USA Water Towers
USA Water Towers and Standpipes
Magnetic Hills: CA, USA, Worldwide

The History of the Christian Fish Symbol
Standpipe Information
Location: 306 Main Street
Signage: Ernestown Environment Ontario
Built: Height:
Home Ontario - O Index