Burlington - Ontario
Things to see and do for Burlingtonians and visitors alike
.

Annual Events/Attractions - Brant Inn Compass - Burlington's History - Business Directory
Fire Hydrants
- Historical Markers -
Honour Roll of Trees - Magnetic Hill -
Museums
Naval and War Memorials
-
Spencer Smith Park
Home - Contact
.
.
Historical Markers - Halton Region
--------------- Erected by ---------------
the Province of Ontario,

Burlington - Burlington Heights - Halton Region
Acton ON. At Halton Hills Public Library. River Street and Main Street N. Erected 2001

Acton
Methodist preachers Ezra and Zenas Adams and their brother Rufus settled on the west branch of the Credit River in the 1820s. A community of pioneer families grew around the Adams family farms. Nicklin's saw and grist mill and Nelles' tannery operated here by the early 1840s. They were the nucleus of a hamlet first named Danville, then Adamsville after its first settlers and, by 1844, Acton. In 1856 the Grand Trunk Railway arrived, stimulating growth east along Mill Street from the river to the railway station. By 1869, Acton had some 700 inhabitants and boasted woodworking mills, tanneries, glove makers and a carriage works. It was incorporated as a village on January 6, 1874.
-----------------------------------------
Ontario Heritage Foundation,
an agency of the Government of Ontario

...
Georgetown ON. River Drive at the Credit River. SE corner of the intersection.

John R. Barber and the Credit River Dynamo
In 1854, brothers William, James, Joseph and Robert Barber, prominent manufacturers in the Credit Valley, established a paper mill here. Within a few years it had become an important producer of fine rag paper. Fifteen years later, James acquired sole ownership of the mill, soon afterwards it came under his son John's control. John Reaf Barber was an innovative manager who substantially increased the mills production by employing new technology. He equipped the mill to manufacture wood pulp and, in 1888 installed a dynamo to supply additional power. This power plant was reputedly the first in Canada to produce hydro-electric power for use in industrial production. The stone ruins of the dynamo building are still standing, about three kilometres downstream.
------------------------------------------------
Ontario Heritage Foundation, Ministry of Culture,
Tourism and Recreation

.
Milton ON. Bronte Rd. between Main St. W. and Steeles Ave. W. Erected 1986.
The P. L. Robertson Manufacturing Company
The first firm in the world to produce socket-head screws, the P. L. Robertson Manufacturing Company was formed in 1907 and relocated here the following year. It was established by an Ontario inventor Peter Lymburner Robertson and, using an ingenious process he had developed to punch square holes in cold metal, it manufactured the innovative new screw for industrial markets. In its first two decades the company steadily expanded operations. By 1930, when the last patent on the Robertson screw and the equipment used in its manufacture expired, the firm had already begun to diversify its products. Now operated as the Robertson Whitehouse Company, it has become one of the largest manufactures of light fasteners, including the original Robertson screw, in North America.
------------------------------------------------------
Erected by the Ontario Heritage Foundation, Ministry of Citizenship and Culture
.
Milton ON. Guelph Line. Approx. 10 miles/15 kilometers north of Hwy 401.
Toronto's Radial Railways
Electric railway service on routes radiating from Toronto began in 1889. Within 20 years, the Toronto and York Radial Railway Company operated lines north on Yonge Street to Sutton, with a branch to Schomberg; from the east end of Toronto to West Hill; and from Sunnyside to Port Credit. In 1917, the Toronto Suburban Railway Company completed its line from west Toronto to Guelph, it also had a route to Woodbridge. These companies operated about 115 miles of trackage. Because they failed to reach downtown Toronto, the radials fell easy prey to through inter-urban highway bus service after 1925. Most services were discontinued in the 1930's. The last, from Toronto to Richmond Hill, was abandoned in 1948.
-------------------------------------------------
Erected by the Archaeological and Historic Sites Board,
Ministry of College and Universities
.
Milton ON. 1984. Crawford Lake Conservation Area. Guelph Ln. at Steeles Ave., n. of Derry Rd. Erected 1984
Crawford Lake Indian Village Site
The first prehistoric village in the eastern woodland area of North America to be accurately dated, this archeological site has revealed much about Iroquoian agriculture. A study of sediment collected from Crawford Lake in 1971 lead to discovering of the site. A small, deep body of water, this meromictic lake has limited circulation and little oxygen below the 12-metre level, insuring the preservation of annual deposits of sediment in undisturbed layers called varves. Analysis of their pollen content showed vegetational changes in the area over time and a concentration of corn pollen, dated 1434-59, suggested the existence of an Indian village near by. In 1973 this site was located. Excavations undertaken here during the following decade confirmed that native agriculturalists contributed subsequently to the region's changing environment.
---------------------------------------
Erected by the Ontario Heritage Foundation, Ministry of Citizenship and Culture
.
Oakville ON. Sheridan College, Trafalgar Rd. Next to parking booth at main parking lot.
Frederick Arthur Verner
1836-1928

Verner was born at Sheridan, Halton County, and educated at Guelph. In 1856 he went to England to study art. Returning to Toronto he established his first studio in 1862. Like his older contemporary, Paul Kane, Verner travelled through the West, recording the life of the Plains Indians and painting the great buffalo herds. An early member of the Ontario Society of Artists, he was later elected to the Royal Canadian Academy. He lived in England after 1880, but returned to Canada on painting trips. Verner is represented in the National Arts Galley of Canada by several works, including a portrait of Sir John A. Macdonald
---------------------------------------------------

Erected by the Archeological and Historic Sites Board
, Department of Public Records and Archives of Ontario
.
Oakville ON. Navy Street at Lakeside Park.
Colonel William Chisholm
1788-1842

The founder of Oakville was born in Nova Scotia of Loyalist parents who moved to Burlington Bay in 1793. William served with distinction in the militia during the War of 1812. He settled in Nelson Township in 1816 and became a successful storekeeper, timber merchant and ship owner. In 1827 he purchased from the Crown 960 acres of uncleared land at the mouth of Sixteen Mile Creek. Here he built mills, laid out a town plot and opened the harbour for shipping. Chisholm was trice elected to represent this district in the Legislative Assembly.
------------------------------------------------------
Erected by the Ontario Archaeological and Historical Sites Board