Burlington - Ontario
Things to see and do for Burlingtonians and visitors alike
.

Annual Events/Attractions - Brant Inn Compass - Burlington's History - Business Directory
Fire Hydrants
- Historical Markers -
Honour Roll of Trees - Magnetic Hill -
Museums
Naval and War Memorials
-
Spencer Smith Park
Home - Contact
.
.
Historical Markers - Burlington Heights
--------------- Erected by ---------------
the Province of Ontario,

Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada, Commission des lieux et monuments historiques du Canada,
and others.
Burlington - Burlington Heights - Halton Region
Burlington Heights. York Blvd., east side; #1 at Valley Inn Rd., #2 just north of the High Level Bridge.
The Broman Lands. Dedicated to
founding Landscape Architect
Mattias (Matt) Broman
1895 - 1989
who shared his vision of this great
landscape
.
Burlington Heights. #1: Facing York Blvd. #2: Back side Location: Right across from Valley Inn Road.

To commemorate the reconstruction
of bridges # 4 and # 5

York Boulevard - 1972
City of Hamilton
Victor K. Copps
Mayor
Whaldo A. Wheten P.Eng.
City Engeneer
Committee on Works
Ald. Reginald Wheeler
Chairman
Anne H. Jones
Controller
Consulting Engeneer C.C. Parker and Associates Limited
----------
General Contractor Dineen Construction Limited
Original bridges constructed in 1921

Corporation of the City of Hamilton
Toronto - Hamilton Highway Entrance
Bridge erected 1920 -1921
Charles G. Booker Esq. Mayor 1920 -
George C. Coppley Esq. Mayor 1921
Controllers Controllers
Thomas W. Jutten Esq.
Thomas J. O'Heir Esq.
Charles I. Aitchison Esq.
Calvin Davis Esq.
John Tope Esq.
F. F. Treleaven Esq.
David Newlands Esq., Chairman Works Com.
E.R. Grey Esq., City Engeneer
Contractors ----- Hamilton Bridge Works Company Limited ----- Russell Construction Co. Limited -----
Gunite Company of Canada limited
.
Burlington Heights. York Blvd., east side. Just north of McQuesten High Level Bridge. Erected 1988.

Thomas Baker McQuesten, 1882 - 1948

An influential proponent of landscape improvement programs,
McQuesten was raised here and educated at the University of Toronto and Osgoode Hall. He joined a Hamilton law practice in 1909 and eleven years later was appointed to the city's Board of Parks Management. In this capacity and as Minister of Highways (1934-43) and Chairman of the Niagara Parks Commission (1934-44), McQuesten devoted himself to the development of parks and scenic parkways. He effectively combined attention to aesthetics with engineering requirements in the design of bridges and roads, including the Queen Elizabeth Way, that were constructed under his charge. McQuesten also actively promoted numerous beautification projects, the park lands along the Niagara River and the Royal Botanical Gardens nearby remaining today as the greatest legacies of his efforts.
-------------------------------------
Erected by the Ontario Heritage Foundation, Ministry of Culture and Communication
At the base of the Thomas Baker McQuesten plaque.
This plaque was unveiled
by
Her Royal Highness The Princess Margaret
Countess of Snowden
C.I., G.C.V.O.
11th July, 1988
on the occasion of the dedication
of the
Thomas B. McQuesten High Level Bridge
.
Burlington Heights. York Blvd., west side. Right across the road from the McQuesten Historical plaque.
Guard this resting place of these unknown
solders, immigrants and citizens
War of 1812-1814
Ship-Fever 1847-1848
Cholera 1854-1855
Unveiled by Mrs. F F Treleaven June 20th. 1926
.
Burlington Heights. High Level Bridge. Bridge plaque on pylon 2. Ontario Heritage plaque on pylon 1.

Looking north towards Burlington. There are two pylons at each end of the bridge. Each pylon is faced in Queenston limestone, is 12.19 m (40 feet) high and bears the City of Hamilton's Coat of Arms. In August of 1986, the High Level Bridge was recognised as a historical landmark under the Ontario Heritage Act and renamed as the Thomas B. McQuesten High Level Bridge.
Corporation of the City of Hamilton
High Level Bridge York Street Entrance
Erected 1931-1932
First bridge erected 1896 - Removed 1931
John Peebles Esq. Mayor 1930-31-32
Board of Control
Samusi, Lawrence Esq.1930-31-32.John H.Bell M.D,1930-32. Samual R.Manson Esq.1931-32
Donald J.McFarlane Esq.1930-31-32,Cranmer E.Riseley Esq,1930-1931
Chairman of Works Committee
Thomas Lewington Esq.1931,John G.Sherring Esq. 1932
William L. McFaul B.A.Sc., City Engeneer
James, Proctor and Redfern Limited, Consulting Engeneers
John M. Lyle F.R.I.B.A.C., Consulting Architect
Contractors:
Hamilton Bridge Company Limited. B.P. Muntz Limited
.
Burlington Heights. York Blvd., east side. South of High Level Bridge. Erected 1976.

William Sherring 1877 - 1964
One of Canada's greatest marathon runners. "Billy" Sherring was born in Hamilton, and began his athletic career as a member of the Y.M.C.A. Boy's Club. He entered many county fair races and in 1897 gained his first major success at Bartonville. Two years later he recorded the first of two victories in the Around-the-Bay Marathon, one of the oldest long distance road races in North America, now know as the Billy Sherring Memorial Race. His most memorial triuph however, was the victory which earned him an Olympic Gold Medal in Athens on May 1, 1906. In a remarkable display of stamina he defeated some 55 competitors over the gruelling 26-mile course.
-------------------------------------
Erected by the Ontario Heritage Foundation, Ministry of Culture and Recreation
Location: York Blvd., beside William Sherring marker.
(text on bronze plaque)

This stone was erected to
mark the 17 mile point of the original
Around the Bay Road Race
first held in 1894, making this
the oldest road race in
North America still running
Courtesy of the Whity Sheridan Family
.
Burlington Heights. York Blvd. East side, approx. 500 m. north of Dundurn Castle. Erected 1975.
"The Burlington Races" 1813
On the morning of September 28, 1813, a powerfully-armed United States fleet comprising ten ships under the command of CommodorevIsaac Chauney appeared of York (Toronto). The smaller British fleet of six vessels, commanded by Commodore Sir James L. Yeo, was in the harbour, but on the approach of the enemy set sail to attack. After a sharp engagement, the British squadron was forced to withdraw toward Burlington Bay where it could take refuse under the batteries on the adjacent Heights. A close chase ensued, but by skilful seamanship, Yeo was able to bring his ships through the shallow channel in the sand-bar to the safety of the bay.
------------------------------------------------
Erected by the Archaeological and Historic Sites Board, Ministry of Colleges and Universities
.
Burlington Heights. Location: York Blvd., east side, north of Dundurn Castle.
Burlington Heights
1813 - 1814

Here in June, 1813, General John Vincent assembled troops that made the successful night attack on the invaders at Stoney Creek. From this point of vantage, in December, 1813, the force which retook Fort George and carried Fort Niagara by assault, began its march. On these heights stood the strong point of reserve and depot of arms for the defence of the Niagara Peninsula and support of the navy on Lake Ontario.
Ici, en juin 1813, le général John Vincent rassembla les troupes qui menèrent à bien l'attaque de nuit contre l'envahisseur à Stoney Creek. C'est d'ici que partirent, en décembre 1813, les forces qui reprirent le fort George et emportèrent d'assaut le fort Niagara. Sur ces hauteurs se trouvaient le gros des réserves et le dépôt d'armes qui assuraient la défense de la péninsule du Niagara et le soutien des troupes navales en service sur le lac Ontario.
------------------------------------
Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada
Commission des lieux et monuments historiques du Canada
.
Burlington Heights. Dundurn Castle. York Boulevard. Marker erected in 1958.
Dundurn Castle
---- 1832 ----


This mansion was built 1832-35 by Allan Napier MacNab (1798-1862) and named after the family ancestral seat in Scotland. Enlisting at fifteen, MacNab distinguished himself by his bravery in the war of 1812. He subsequently entered politics and was noted for his support of the Family Compact. During the rebellion of 1837 he was one of the government's most active military supporters and was knighted for his services. Leader of the Tory-Conservatives, MacNab was Speaker of the Legislative Assembly on several occasions and Prime Minister of Canada 1854-56.
-------------------------------------------
Erected by the Ontario Archaeological and Historical Sites Board
.
Burlington Heights. Dundurn Castle. York Boulevard.
DUNDURN CASTLE
LE CHATEAU DUNDURN

This villa was completed in 1835 for Allan Napier MacNab. Incorporating an existing farmhouse, it was designed by the local architect, Robert Wetherell, as a statement of its owner's place in Hamilton society. The house features an eclectic blend of classical and Italianate motifs, French windows, broad verandahs and a panoramic view of Burlington Bay. With its outbuildings and grounds, Dundurn Castle stands as an important example of the Picturesque Movement in Canada. After years in private hands, the property was purchased by the city and from 1964 to 1967 restored to its former splendour.
Achevée en 1835, cette villa fut construite pour Allan Napier MacNab. Pour son concepteur, Robert Wetherell, elle devait témoigner du statut social de son propriétaire. Incorporant une ancienne maison de ferme, elle affiche un amalgame éclectique de lignes classiques et de motifs à l'italienne, des portes-fenêtres, de grandes vérandas, et offre une vue splendide sur la baie. Avec ses dépendances et ses parcs, elle constitue un important exemple du style pittoresque au Canada. Résidence privé pendant de nombreuses années, elle a été achetée par la ville de Hamilton, qui l'a restaurée de 1964 à 1967.
----------------------------------
Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada
Commission des lieux et monuments historiques du Canada
SIR ALLAN NAPIER MACNAB
1798 - 1862

Politician, businessman, land speculator and soldier, Allan MacNab enjoyed a very public life. He was a successful lawyer and was appointed Upper Canada's first Queen's Counsel. In 1838 he was knighted for his role in suppressing the rebellion in Upper Canada. The profits from his extensive land speculation were fed into a variety of projects, including construction of his monument, Dundurn. He was influential in establishing the Gore Bank and in promoting the Great Western Railway. During a political career spanning three decades, he was three times Speaker and, from 1854 to 1856, Premier.
Homme politique, homme d'affaires, spéculateur foncier, officier militaire et avocat, Allan MacNab eut une longue vie publique. Premier conseiller de la reine au Haut-Canada, il fut créé chevalier en 1838, en récompense de son rôle répressif lors de la Rébellion. Il contribua à l'établissement de la Gore Bank et du Great Western Railway. Il investit les profits de ses spéculations dans divers projets dont la construction de ce château, Dundurn, qui devait prolonger sa mémoire. Au cours de ses quelque 30 ans de carrière politique, il fut président de la Chambre à trois reprises et premier ministre de 1854 à 1856.
----------------------------------
Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada
Commission des lieux et monuments historiques du Canada
.
Burlington Heights. York Blvd. Dundurn Castle parking lot. Plaque is mounted on large boulder.
In lasting memory
of the
United Empire
Loyalists

who preferred to remain British subjects and came to Canada in large numbers immediately following the American Revolution of 1776 and the signing of the Treaty of Peace in 1783
----------------------------------------
On this site in 1783 was erected one of the first log houses by a Loyalist pioneer Col. Richard Beasley who on June 11th. and 12th. 1796 here entertained Lieut.-Colonel John Graves Simcoe the first Lieutenant-Governor of Upper Canada and Mrs. Simcoe.
----------------------------------------
Unveiled July 1st. 1927 the Diamond Jubilee
of the Confederation of the Provinces
of Canada on July 1st. 1867
.
Burlington Heights. York Blvd. Dundurn Castle parking lot entrance. The same event is recorded below.
Sir John Harvey
1778-1852

From these heights, Lieutenant-Colonel John Harvey set out with about 700 men on the night of June 5, 1813, to launch a surprise attack on an invading United States force of some 3,000 men camped at Stoney Creek. His rout of the troops commended by Brigadier-General John Chandler under cover of darkness in the early hours of June 6, is generally credited with saving Upper Canada from being overrun by the enemy. Harvey was knighted in 1824, served as Lieutenant-Governor of New Brunswick, 1834-41, Governor of Newfoundland, 1841-46, and Lieutenant-Governor of Nova Scotia, 1846-51
------------------------------------------------------
Erected by the Ontario Archaeological and Historical Sites Board
This stone marker recording the same event is located in the Hamilton Cemetery across from Dundurn Castle.
These ramparts were
erected by the British troops
during the war of 1812-15.
From this place on the night
of June 5th 1813,
700 men under command
of Lieut. Colonel Harvey,
marched to Stoney Creek
where they surprised and routed
an American force of 3750 men
ridding the Niagara Peninsula
of the invaders.
Parts of the old earthworks built by the British Army across the high ground of Burlington Heights are still visible today. The stone marker shown above is located in the Hamilton Cemetery on a section of earthworks that is approximately 2 metres in height and 100 metres long.
In 1914 the Wentworth Historical Society placed four stone markers (shown below) on the Heights to indicate where the British forces built their two lines of defences. Many of the original lead letters have disappeared.
..
Burlington Heights.
York Blvd. Hamilton Cemetery
Burlington Heights.
York Blvd. Dundurn Castle grounds
Burlington Heights.
York Blvd. At Burlington Hights plaque
ABOUT THIS SPOT
WAS AN OUTWORK OF
THE FIRST LINE OF DEFENCE
1812-1815
Placed by the Wentworth
Historical Society 1914
THIS BATTERY
WAS PART OF THE DEFENCES
ON BURLINGTON HEIGHTS
1812-1815
Placed by the Wentworth
Historical Society 1914
THIS STONE MARKS
THE LINE OF EARTHWORKS
IN FIRST LINE OF DEFENCE
1812-1815
Placed by the Wentworth
Historical Society 1914
Burlington Heights. York Boulevard at the SE pylon of the High Level Bridge.
HERE WAS PLACED THE
ENTRENCHMENT FORMING
THE SECOND LINE OF DEFENCE
1812-1815
Placed by the Wentworth
Historical Society 1914